As well as the risk to human life, there is also the risk of a hefty fine by the Health and Safety Executive.
Steve Loofe from Manchester-based PAT testing and electrical safety testing contractors, Patman, says: “As a business you could find yourself in court facing a fine or imprisonment of you do not take your responsibilities to protect staff and customers seriously. Of course the real cost of accidents is much higher than this; the pain and suffering, loss of reputation if you are in the hotel or tourist industry, damaged equipment, replacement staff costs, increased insurance premiums and the potential victim’s own legal costs will far exceed any fine you are given. Taking precautions to avoid it happening to you makes moral, legal and financial sense.”
You only need to watch the news or read the newspapers to find daily examples of staff or customers being hurt by a faulty electrical appliance. A recent HSE court case heard how one employee sustained a 240 volt electric shock that broke both shoulders whilst attempting to a test of newly manufactured appliance that had been incorrectly wired to the mains lead. It turned out there had been exposed metal in the test area and there had been no PAT test of the mains lead prior to the live test. The employers were prosecuted under The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (No 14), The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 (No 3) paragraph 1 and received a fine.
Employers are required by the Health and Safety law to ensure that all of their electrical installations and portable electrical appliances are safe. Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing) basically involves the periodic testing of electrical appliances within a commercial or domestic setting to identify any possible faults which could make the equipment unsafe.
For all your PAT testing needs contact Patman on 0161 643 1424 or visit www.patman1.com